A Place For Us
The day Martha Winter decided to tear apart her family began like any other day.
When Martha, a wife and mother of three, sits down one late summer’s morning to write out the invitations to her eightieth birthday celebration, she knows that what she is planning to reveal at the party could ruin the idyllic life she and her husband David have spent over fifty years building…
But she has to let her family know what she and David have sacrificed. She can’t live a lie any more.
The invitation goes out far and wide, calling her three children and their families back home to Winterfold, their rambling house in the heart of the English countryside. They are Bill, the doctor; Florence, the eccentric academic; and Daisy, the child who never fit in. As the story unfolds, each character reveals the secrets, joys, and tragedies they are wrestling with through the confines of the family. What will happen when Martha finally tells the truth?
|9781476786780||Hardcover||$25.99||Gallery Books||June 02, 2015|
Other US Editions:
|9781476793405||Trade Paperback||$16.00||Gallery Books||February 23, 2016|
|9781476786797||eBook||$11.99||Gallery Books||June 02, 2015|
Retailers for Hardcover:
- Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/147678678X?tag=simonsayscom
- Barnes & Noble: http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-7567305-11819508?SID=simonsayscom&url=http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/?ean=9781476786780
- Books-a-Million: http://www.booksamillion.com/p/9781476786780
- IndieBound: http://www.IndieBound.org/book/9781476786780?aff=simonsayscom
Assets & Images
Reading Group Guide
When Martha Winter sits down one late summer’s morning to invite her family to return home for her eightieth birthday celebration, she knows that what she is planning to reveal at the party could ruin the idyllic life she and her husband, David, have spent over fifty years building.
As the family returns to Winterfold, their rambling house in the heart of the English countryside, each character reveals the secrets, joys, and tragedies with which they are wrestling. And when Martha finally unburdens her secret, the family’s foundation threatens to crumble.
Topics & Questions for Discussion
1. The majority of characters in A Place for Us are women, and consequently this book addresses many women’s issues. What are some of the defining moments for the women in the novel, and how do these events impact their characters’ development? What kinds of arguments do you believe the author is ultimately trying to make through her female characters about women’s experiences? see more