Riverside and Bristol Distribution Centers
• Both centers utilize a sophisticated Sage Energy Management System that reduces overall energy requirements and usage.
• Both centers utilize motion detectors on all lights throughout the warehouse to ensure we illuminate only those areas that are actually in use.
• Both centers use cartons made from 100 % recycled post-consumer materials.
• In 2006 we acquired an entirely new fleet of forklifts that employ regenerative braking, using the trucks’ momentum when stopping to charge their batteries (much like a hybrid car).
• We are installing more efficient light fixtures in our Riverside center.
• All inventory reductions and discarded corrugated cartons are recycled as mixed-use paper.
• The Simon & Schuster sales division has recently launched an electronic manuscript program in which all sales reps have been given an eBook reader, replacing photocopied manuscripts. Reps will now download manuscripts, and only those manuscripts that they choose to read. S&S estimates that this initiative has the potential to reduce the number of manuscripts reproduced for its sales division by 20,000 per year. A similar eBook reader program is currently being piloted by a Simon & Schuster editorial department.
• The sales division makes extensive use of webcast, video, and teleconferencing capability for key seasonal meetings, significantly reducing the overall travel requirements for the division.
Rockefeller Center Facility
• Follows sound recycling procedures for general use paper, newsprint, bottles and cans, and trash.
• Facility cleaning products meet or exceed Green Seal, EAP, and EPP Standards.
• Simon & Schuster recycles existing carpets: all replacement carpets are manufactured from recycled materials.
• Is establishing dedicated recycling areas for batteries and compact disks.
• Phased replacement of desktop CRT monitors with energy efficient LCD flat panel monitors.
• All desktop/laptop users log off every evening, and printers are shut down.
Simon & Schuster Australia
• All desktop and laptop computers are shut down at night, set to power save mode to switch off monitors and hard drives, and screen savers set to “none.”
• Printers, photocopiers and all peripherals are shut down at night.
• Large manuscripts and other bulk printing are recycled in laser printers to ensure double-sided printing whenever possible.
• All waste paper and cardboard are recycled.
• Simon & Schuster Australia estimates 15% power savings since initiating these measures.
Simon & Schuster Canada
• Have organized a “green team” to identify and address ways to be more eco-friendly in day-to-day business activity.
• Follows sound recycling procedures in its offices.
• Is participating in the S&S eBook reader manuscript initiative.
• Have organized car pools to transport staff from downtown Toronto to its offices.
• Email signatures remind recipients to consider not printing.
•Phased replacement of desktop CRT monitors with energy efficient LCD flat panel monitors.
Simon & Schuster UK
• Adheres to environmentally friendly means of disposing of computers
• Uses recycled copier paper.
• Is developing an eco-friendly paper policy.