Get our latest staff recommendations, classroom reading guides and discover assets for your stores and social media channels. Receive the Children’s Bookseller newsletter to your inbox when you sign up, plus more from Simon & Schuster.If you are an independent bookseller in the U.S. and would like to be added to our independent bookseller newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Table of Contents
About The Book
- Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers (January 9, 2007)
- Length: 224 pages
- ISBN13: 9781416934820
- Grades: 5 - 9
- Ages: 10 - 14
- Lexile ® 860L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
- Fountas & Pinnell™ W These books have been officially leveled by using the F&P Text Level Gradient™ Leveling System
Browse Related Books
Raves and Reviews
* "This is a refreshingly well-written encounter with richly developed and well-defined characters whom readers won't soon forget."
– School Library Journal, STAR
* "…strong narration and the child's struggle with forgiveness make for poignant, aching drama."
– Booklist, starred review
* "Tobin’s own blossoming, through friendship, and the rediscovery of his family, and the love for and of his chickens, is entirely satisfying—just right."
– Kirkus Reviews, STAR
Awards and Honors
- ALA Notable Children's Books
- Kentucky Bluegrass Award Master List
- Bank Street Best Books of the Year
- NYPL 100 Titles for Reading and Sharing
- Chicago Public Library's Best of the Best
- Kirkus Editor's Choice
- NCTE Notable Children's Books in the Language Arts
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List Starred Junior Title
- Texas Bluebonnet Master List
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher Book Award Master List (VT)
- Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee
- Rhode Island Children's Book Award Nominee
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
- Book Cover Image (jpg): Chicken Boy Trade Paperback 9781416934820(1.8 MB)
- Author Photo (jpg): Frances O'Roark Dowell Photograph (c) Clifton Dowell(2.5 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.