“Ghost Hawk is the work of a writer with great imaginative power and long-practiced narrative skill. I was swept up in the story, shocked, moved, and enthralled - and completely convinced by the historical background. I haven't read anything better for a long time."
– Philip Pullman, author of The Golden Compass
"Susan Cooper has asked the ghosts of our shared history to sing. And when she asks, they always do."
– William Alexander, author of the National Book Award winner Goblin Secrets
"Ghost Hawk is a treasure.... Beautifully written, vivid with its manifest love for the land, it is a story of suffering and survival, both tragic and heroic."
– Karen Cushman, author of the Newbery Medal winner The Midwife's Apprentice
*"Well-researched and elegant historical fantasy... Cooper demonstrates, as Little Hawk says, “Change is made by the voice of one person at a time.”
– Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Cooper has written a richly plotted, lyrical, and near-epic novel...this is simply an unforgettable reading experience."
– Booklist, starred review
"[A] sensitive portrayal of an unusual friendship."
– Kirkus Reviews
"Cooper here demonstrates that there’s plenty of magic left in her pen, delivering a powerful and memorable novel."
– The Horn Book
"A beautifully written story."
– School Library Journal
"Rich period detail makes for an immersive experience."