Join our mailing list!
Get our latest staff recommendations, classroom reading guides and discover assets for your stores and social media channels. Receive the Children’s Bookseller newsletter to your inbox when you sign up, plus more from Simon & Schuster.If you are an independent bookseller in the U.S. and would like to be added to our independent bookseller newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A Reading Group Guide to Much Ado About Anne
Book 2 in the The Mother-Daughter Book Club series
by Heather Vogel Frederick Discussion Questions
1. Which of the girls changed the most from the first book, The Mother-Daughter Book Club
, and how?
2. Have you ever read Anne of Green Gables
by L. M. Montgomery? If so, did you enjoy it? What did you like about it? If you haven’t read it, does Much Ado About Anne
make you want to read it?
3. Do you have a place that you love like Half Moon Farm or Green Gables? Have you ever thought about naming a special place like Anne, and then Emma and Jess, did?
4. Think of any extracurricular activities that you may be involved in at school, such as the school newspaper or sports. Are your fellow students competitive with one another? If so, why do you think that is?
5. Do you prefer to work as part of a team, like Cassidy and her hockey team? Or would you rather be by yourself, like Emma when she takes skating lessons? Explain.
6. Do you think Becca Chadwick has changed from the first book? In what ways is she different? How is she the same?
7. Did the mothers do the right thing by inviting Becca and her mother to join the book club, even though Becca has been intentionally mean to some of the members in the past?
8. How do you think Megan felt when being torn between two groups of friends? Have you ever been in a situation like that? How did you handle it?
9. What do you think about the prank that Cassidy, Emma, and Jess tried to play on Becca? Was it right or wrong? What about the prank that Jess tried to play on her younger brothers? Have you ever played a prank on someone? What happened?
10. Should Jess’s parents have told her earlier about losing Half Moon Farm? What do you think their reasons were for not doing so sooner? Have you ever been upset with people around you for keeping something from you?
11. Think back to the scene when Stanley takes Cassidy to the Bruins game. Did you understand Cassidy’s bitter feelings toward Stanley, or do you think she should have been nicer?
12. Have you ever been lost, like the girls on their camping trip? What did you do?
13. Would you ever want to model in a fashion show? Why or why not?
14. If you had to design an outfit for your best friend, what would it be like? Explain.
15. Which of the girls do you most relate to? Is this different from who you related to in The Mother-Daughter Book Club
16. If you could get to know one of the characters better, who would it be? Why?
17. Explain which was your favorite part of this book. Why is it your favorite?
18. Would you change the ending of the book? Why or why not? This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.