Get our latest staff recommendations, classroom reading guides and discover assets for your stores and social media channels. Receive the Children’s Bookseller newsletter to your inbox when you sign up, plus more from Simon & Schuster.If you are an independent bookseller in the U.S. and would like to be added to our independent bookseller newsletter, please email email@example.com
Table of Contents
About The Book
The debut book in the New York Times bestselling Contract series, The Contract is a middle grade baseball novel inspired by the youth of legendary sports icon and role model Derek Jeter.
As a young boy, Derek Jeter dreams of being the shortstop for the New York Yankees. He even imagines himself in the World Series. So when Derek is chosen for the Little League Tigers, he hopes to play shortstop. But on the day of the assignments, Derek Starts at second base. Still, he tries his best while he wishes and dreams of that shortstop spot. And to help him stay focused on school, his parents make him a contract: keep up the grades or no baseball. Derek makes sure he always plays his best game—on and off the baseball field!
Derek Jeter has played Major League Baseball for the New York Yankees for twenty seasons and is a five-time World Series Champion. He is a true legend in professional sports and a role model for young people both on the field and through his Turn 2 Foundation.
Inspired by Derek Jeter’s childhood, The Contract is the first book in Derek Jeter’s middle grade baseball series, an important part of the Jeter Publishing program, which will encompass adult nonfiction titles, children’s picture books, middle grade fiction, Ready-to-Read children’s books, and children’s nonfiction. For more about Jeter Publishing visit JeterPublishing.com.
Reading Group Guide
Join our mailing list! Get our latest staff recommendations, classroom reading guides and discover assets for your stores and social media channels. Receive the Children’s Bookseller newsletter to your inbox when you sign up, plus more from Simon & Schuster.If you are an independent bookseller in the U.S. and would like to be added to our independent bookseller newsletter, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
By Derek Jeter
With Paul Mantell
Discussion Questions from Jeter’s Leaders
• Derek has a very strong supporting cast of family members who support his dreams. Who do you already have in your supporting cast and how do they support you? What do you need in a strong supporting cast?
• What would you do if your parents made you a contract for your future?
• What future plans do you have that would make you want to fully commit to a contract?
• When you’re not at your best, how do you bounce back and accomplish your goals to be better than you were?
• How does Derek cope with the favoritism shown to Pete? Would you cope in the same way? Why or why not?
• Instead of studying, Derek’s mind constantly drifts to baseball. What are the distractions that keep you from doing what you need to do?
• Derek continues to play games with his dad despite his constant failure. Why is this important?
• Mr. and Mrs. Jeter had to deal with a world that wasn’t very welcoming to interracial couples. What kind of unfair situations have you dealt with in your life?
• Would Ms. Wagner be part of Derek’s supporting cast? Why or why not?
• Once when Vijay was getting picked on, Derek told Vijay that Pete was being a jerk and helped him through the situation. What situation did Derek’s mom help him through when he was getting picked on? How do you feel about the way she helped him?
• Does Pete succeed in bringing down Derek’s confidence? Why or why not?
• How would you react to someone like Pete?
• Why does Derek continue to play games with his dad despite constantly losing? Why is this important?
• Why does Derek realize that he shouldn’t be too disappointed about Pete winning MVP of the Tigers?
• How is Derek a leader to his Westwood Little League teammates?
The Publisher gratefully acknowledges the help of Jeter’s Leaders and the Turn 2 Foundation in creating this guide. Please find more information about the Turn 2 Foundation and Jeter’s Leaders at www.turn2foundation.org.
This guide has been provided by Simon & Schuster for classroom, library, and reading group use. It may be reproduced in its entirety or excerpted for these purposes.
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (September 23, 2014)
- Length: 176 pages
- ISBN13: 9781481423144
- Grades: 3 - 7
- Ages: 8 - 12
- Lexile ® 770L The Lexile reading levels have been certified by the Lexile developer, MetaMetrics®
Browse Related Books
Awards and Honors
- Iowa Children's Choice Award Nominee
- Kansas NEA Reading Circle List Intermediate Title
- MSTA Reading Circle List
- Michigan Notable Books List
Resources and Downloads
High Resolution Images
Book Cover Image (jpg): The Contract
Author Photo (jpg): Derek Jeter
Maureen Cavanagh/Jeter Publishing(0.1 MB)
Any use of an author photo must include its respective photo credit
More to Explore
Our Summer Reading Recommendations
Red-hot romances, poolside fiction, and blockbuster picks, oh my! Start reading the hottest books of the summer.
This Month's New Releases
From heart-pounding thrillers to poignant memoirs and everything in between, check out what's new this month.